Friday, October 14, 2011

Chemo - cycle 2, here we go!

It's been a while since I updated this blog, I hope you didn't miss me too much!  Here's what's been going on:  Last Sunday and Monday, my hair started really falling out like crazy.  I know it probably doesn't seem like a big deal to anyone but me, but before it was my choice that it was shaved, and it was still a little dark and thick and healthy, now it is all patchy and thin and sickly looking.  And for some reason now my scalp is more sensitive, kind of like needles pricking if I press down on my hair.  I know, I know, it means the chemo is doing it's job to kill those fast growing cells - but I still hate the way it looks right now.  I have given myself some new beauty rules:  earings and lipstick everyday!  Even when I'm not going anywhere.  It helps when I pass by a mirror to not feel so ugly. 

Monday we met with the plastic surgeon to discuss reconstruction options.  Not sure what to say about that visit.  Because I'm going to go through radiation after the mastectomy, the skin on my chest will be pretty damaged, so they will actually have to pull skin from another area of my body and attach it to my chest to stretch for the reconstruction.  The doctor gave his 2 preferences: My abs or my back.  So I'm going to set up an online poll for you to cast your vote.  Haha, just kidding.  I can't even believe I'm adding this paragraph to my blog, but I'll just blame it on chemo brain.  (Yes, it's true.  They say chemo makes you a little fuzzy in the brain sometimes.)

Speaking of chemo, Wednesday was my second time to recieve my chemo treatment.  If you remember, I go in every 3 weeks for chemo, but every single Wednesday in between I go in for just mone drug, which is Herceptin - my super amazing drug that knows how to specifically target these little receptors on my cancerous cells.  I think it's part of the reason my cancer is being so affected my treatments.  That and all the prayers and fasts going up on my behalf.  Anyways, so my sister Susan took to me this time and we had lots of fun playing card games and eating yummy hostpital cafeteria food.  I wouldn't recommend the zucchini/squash side dish though.  It sounded great, but it was terrible.  Hmmm. 

Anyways, the infusion room is a big long room lined by windows that is sectioned off (really just by the arrangement of the reclining chairs we sit in).  Each nurse is assigned to a section of 4 patients kind of the way restaurants are divided into sections for the servers to work in.  There was a lady sitting across from my in my section, who I think looked a little to smug, but I found out why when all the nurses surrounded her and announced to the whole room that she was finishing up her very last chemo treatment that day!  We all cheered and clapped for her, then I had a most unexpected reaction: tears of jealousy.  I was soooo jeaous!  (and I was kidding about the smug looks she was giving by the way.)  I just wanted to be in her shoes so badly, but there I was just beginning my chemo treatment.  Poor me.  Wah wah. 

So now it's Friday, I've been feeling pretty good, just very TIRED this time around.  They say the symptoms are cyclical, so each cycle of chemo will be much like the last - except for the fatigue, which gets worse and worse each time.  I'm supposed to remain as active as I can, otherwise teh fatigue really gets worse.  So I've taken the kids swimming at the YMCA, I took the girls for a walk yesterday - it was such a pretty day we had to get outside and I'm sure we'll find something active to do today.  But I'm also able to keep getting lots of rest.  It's been nice because we've had dinners brought in the past couple nights from people in the  ward so I don't have to worry about that kind of thing right now.  And I'm taking naps in the afternoons when I put down the girls.  I love that they both take naps still and I am able to have that time to myself.  LIFE IS GOOD.  At least that's what the plaque in my living room says. :) 

6 comments:

Goings on at the Glenn's said...

you are so cute Lauren! And such a tropper. I admire your sense of humor even when you are going through all this. I am getting nervous for November. Our event is coming up so fast and I don't feel at all prepared. It will all be ok though.

Dacie said...

Ah Laurie, you're such a joy! I know that sounds a little cheesy but that's what's in my head so deal with it! :) I love reading your blogs and the pics of the fam were so incredibly beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing! Love you!

Kwint and Gina Kemp Family said...

Ah, my Laurie... I am so glad that the prayers and drugs are doing their job. We have said many, many prayers for you. I think you should go for the abs, personally. I know after two kids, I have a bit o' extra skin there I could do without. It's what I would do. :)

Anonymous said...

I vote tummy. Since you are going to be a super-skinny super model with luxurious hair and a buxom figure (when chemo is done), you won't need much room for your tummy anyway!

Your smile and rosy cheeks are what make you beautiful. Not the hair.

Love you sis!

Claudia said...

...so I vote back!just saying...cuz... MY back fat would FINALLY get a reason NOT to be hated so much! stay strong chica! luvs u!

Susan said...

Are we really voting? Ok, then I vote back. You are too skinny for them to get anything from your tummy! You don't have enough fat to need a tummy tuck :) Nevermind, it is up to you! It was fun being in Chemo with you, but I kinda felt bad beating you at cards so badly...